UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon hopes that the renewed engagement of the United States in the Palestinian-Israeli settlement will soon lead to a substantial initiative.
"I am encouraged by the political momentum created through US President Obama's visit to the region. I hope that renewed U.S. engagement would lead to a substantial initiative soon," Ban said in an interview ahead of his visit to Russia on May 16.
He welcomes effort aimed at the resumption of credible negotiations between Palestine and Israel. "I have welcomed the positive engagement of the Arab League Peace Initiative follow up committee," he said. "It is important to create an environment conducive to a resumption of talks. I encouraged both sides to take positive steps in this regard," Ban said.
- ASIAMay 28 nuke tests reinforced power equilibrium in South Asia
- ASIAIts our responsibility to have full preparedness to protect Pakistan from external threats: PM
- ASIANew Southbound Policy opens doors for Taiwan firms
- AMERICASWHO urged to consider moving Rio Olympics because of Zika
- ASIAWorld needs Roadmap on green economy development - Kazakh President
Most Viewed News