U.S. investigators say preliminary evidence from interviews with the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, suggest that he and his brother were motivated by Islamic religious extremism, but not linked to any terrorist groups.
Government sources say the Tsarnaev has told them that he and his older brother acted alone. They were moved to set off the twin explosions at last week's race, the sources said, by a feeling that Islam is under attack and needed to be defended.
With a throat wound that was possibly self-inflicted, the younger Tsarnaev has been unable to speak with investigators, but has answered their questions in writing and with nods of his head.
The 19-year-old Dzhokhar has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction. He is in federal custody at a Boston hospital. His older brother, Tamerlan, was killed in a police shootout late last week.
The brothers allegedly set off two bombs near the marathon finish line, killing three and wounding 264. Some of the wounded lost their legs. They are also suspected of killing an MIT security officer during the police manhunt for them.
Two of last week's victims were laid to rest on Tuesday.
Eight-year-old Martin Richard was remembered at a private funeral service. He was killed in the April 15 bombings, waiting for his father to cross the Marathon's finish line. His mother and younger sister were seriously hurt.
Also remembered Tuesday was Sean Collier, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology security officer who was gunned down three days after the bombings while the suspects were on the run from police.
A large-scale commemoration of Sean Collier is planned at MIT on Wednesday. The White House has confirmed that Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, will attend the service. Other dignitaries expected to attend include Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren.
Two others killed by the bombs - restaurant manager Krystle Campbell and Chinese-born student Lu Lingzi - were remembered in separate services on Monday.
Also on Tuesday, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said a fund to help the bombing victims has received $20 million in donations. Menino called the outpouring of support from around the world tremendous, and more than he could ever imagine.
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGRussia releases radar analysis of downed jet
- ECONOMYŽimžek to become Turkeys new economy tsar, as Erdošans allies take key posts in administration
- ECONOMYRussia crisis hits Turkish stocks
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGObama, Erdošan agree on the need to de-escalate tension between Turkey and Russia
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTwo Russian warplanes violated Turkish airspace for 17 seconds: Turkey
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYTurkey warns Russia over border security
- 2MIDDLE EASTSyrian regime forces take over strategic Turkmen area
- 3EURASIARussia, Assad regime continue pounding Turkmen Mountain
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish F-16s shoot down Russian-made jet for airspace violation near Syrian border
- 5TURKEYTurkey sends letter to UN on attacks on Turkmens