Chinese state media say a powerful earthquake that struck the western Chinese region of Sichuan Saturday morning has left around 30 people dead.
China's official Xinhua news agency said that at least 400 people have been injured in the quake.
The agency said the quake also rattled buildings in the provincial capital of Chengdu, 115 kilometers to the east.
Sichuan's provincial seismological bureau put the strength of the quake at 7.0, while the U.S. Geological Survey said it was a 6.6 magnitude, which is capable of causing severe damage. The quake occurred at a depth of 12 kilometers below the surface.
A strong earthquake struck Sichuan in 2008, killing more than 70,000 people.
Most Viewed News
- 1MIDDLE EASTRussia bolstering military presence in Syria: Analysts
- 2MIDDLE EASTSyria air campaign raises questions about Russian capabilities
- 3TURKEYTurkey accuses Russia of hitting Syria rebels to bolster regime
- 4TURKEYTurkey: 2 soldiers martyred, 2 injured in PKK attacks
- 5AFRICAS. African monarch slapped with 12-year jail term