he ambassador of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to Italy, Salh Mohammad Al Ghandi, delivered a message from King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al Saud to Pope Francis. Saudi Arabia is one of the eight countries without diplomatic ties with the Vatican, Rome Reports reported.
The cordial meeting took place in the study of Paul VI Hall, where the Pope and the ambassador were able to exchange gifts.
Though there are no official diplomatic relations between the two states, there have been a series of semi-official meetings. The countries' relationships are difficult because Christians have no right to worship freely or in public in the Saudi Kingdom.
Dialogue between them was spurred following a meeting between King Abdullah and Benedict XVI at the Vatican in 2007. Their audience was the strongest sign of warming ties between the two states in the past few years.
- MIDDLE EASTIsrael defies international law by holding bodies of slain Palestinians
- EUROPEBelgian security crackdown 'should not target Muslims'
- MIDDLE EASTSyria: Russian warplanes kill 11 civilians in Idlib
- ASIAReport: North Korean sub missile launch 'fails'
- EUROPESpanish police arrest three in connection with Daesh
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey suspends Syria flights after crisis with Russia
- 2MIDDLE EAST‘Disastrous situation’ as Israel kills more than 100 Palestinians
- 3RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey hopes tensions with Russia resolve soon
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey advises its citizens to delay trips to Russia
- 5TURKEYTurkish journalists jailed over spying charges