he ambassador of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to Italy, Salh Mohammad Al Ghandi, delivered a message from King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al Saud to Pope Francis. Saudi Arabia is one of the eight countries without diplomatic ties with the Vatican, Rome Reports reported.
The cordial meeting took place in the study of Paul VI Hall, where the Pope and the ambassador were able to exchange gifts.
Though there are no official diplomatic relations between the two states, there have been a series of semi-official meetings. The countries' relationships are difficult because Christians have no right to worship freely or in public in the Saudi Kingdom.
Dialogue between them was spurred following a meeting between King Abdullah and Benedict XVI at the Vatican in 2007. Their audience was the strongest sign of warming ties between the two states in the past few years.
- MIDDLE EASTUNSC rejects Israel claims over Syrian Golan Heights
- ASIAChina supports political stability in South Asia for economic development in the region
- ASIAKazakhstan announced its position regarding territorial disputes in South China Sea
- TURKEYTwo rocket projectiles hit Turkey’s Kilis
- ASIATaiwan calls on Japan to respect fishing rights
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYSuicide bomb attack in Turkey's Bursa wounds 13
- 2TURKEYTurkish PM rules out removing secularism from constitution
- 3WORLDUS puts Switzerland on copyright watch list
- 4EUROPEEU’s executive arm: Real litmus test for Turkey are accession negotiations
- 5MIDDLE EASTOpposition loses 4 towns to Daesh in Syria: US