Indian police say one of the men accused in the gang rape of a female student on a New Delhi bus has committed suicide in jail.
An official at Tihar jail says Ram Singh hanged himself with his own clothes Monday morning.
However, Singh's parents and lawyer say Singh was murdered in prison, and that an old hand injury made him incapable of hanging himself.
Singh's father said his son told him that he had been sodomized by other inmates who had repeatedly threatened his life.
Singh was accused of driving the bus on which a 23-year-old student was raped for more than two hours in December. Her internal injuries were so horrific she died two weeks later.
Singh was the leader of the gang of five men and a juvenile. The trial of the five adult men began in a special fast-track court last month while the juvenile's trial began last week.
- WORLDOlympic flame comes to Switzerland
- EUROPETurkish kebab restaurant owner in Portugal becomes famous after mob
- ECONOMYTurkey’s tourism revenue drops 16.5 percent in first quarter
- ECONOMYMagazine names Turkey’s ‘most popular’ companies
- ENERGYTurkish energy minister calls for environmentalist groups to protest Armenian nuclear plant
Most Viewed News
- 1ASIAChina on the road to “New Economy”: First impressions
- 2TURKEYSuicide bomb attack in Turkey's Bursa wounds 13
- 3MIDDLE EASTOpposition loses 4 towns to Daesh in Syria: US
- 4TURKEYTurkish PM rules out removing secularism from constitution
- 5EUROPEEU’s executive arm: Real litmus test for Turkey are accession negotiations