Indian police say one of the men accused in the gang rape of a female student on a New Delhi bus has committed suicide in jail.
An official at Tihar jail says Ram Singh hanged himself with his own clothes Monday morning.
However, Singh's parents and lawyer say Singh was murdered in prison, and that an old hand injury made him incapable of hanging himself.
Singh's father said his son told him that he had been sodomized by other inmates who had repeatedly threatened his life.
Singh was accused of driving the bus on which a 23-year-old student was raped for more than two hours in December. Her internal injuries were so horrific she died two weeks later.
Singh was the leader of the gang of five men and a juvenile. The trial of the five adult men began in a special fast-track court last month while the juvenile's trial began last week.
- WORLDAgriculture key to addressing conflict, climate change risks
- TURKEYSix soldiers killed in PKK bomb attack in Turkey’s east
- WORLDUNESCO points at importance of media in saving lives during crises
- TURKEYCHP leader criticizes ‘North Korea-like discipline’ in AKP congress
- MIDDLE EASTKurds in Syria will let you down, Turkey warns US
Most Viewed News