Indian police say one of the men accused in the gang rape of a female student on a New Delhi bus has committed suicide in jail.
An official at Tihar jail says Ram Singh hanged himself with his own clothes Monday morning.
However, Singh's parents and lawyer say Singh was murdered in prison, and that an old hand injury made him incapable of hanging himself.
Singh's father said his son told him that he had been sodomized by other inmates who had repeatedly threatened his life.
Singh was accused of driving the bus on which a 23-year-old student was raped for more than two hours in December. Her internal injuries were so horrific she died two weeks later.
Singh was the leader of the gang of five men and a juvenile. The trial of the five adult men began in a special fast-track court last month while the juvenile's trial began last week.
- TURKEYCHP leader urges gov’t not to turn post-coup probe into ‘witch hunt’
- TURKEYUS offered to help on Gülen’s extradition, Turkish FM confirms
- EUROPENo isolationist path for Britain, Johnson insists
- TURKEYSyrian fighters seize half of Manbij from Islamic State
- TURKEYFlights as usual after failed coup attempt, Turkish Airlines chairman says
Most Viewed News
- 1EURASIARussia: Continuation of commercial and economic cooperation with Turkey
- 2TURKEYSyrian fighters seize half of Manbij from Islamic State
- 3TURKEYFlights as usual after failed coup attempt, Turkish Airlines chairman says
- 4AMERICASClinton selected Virginia senator as her running mate
- 5TURKEYMore than 8,000 people including judiciary members, soldiers, police officers and civil servants, have been arrested