Indian police say one of the men accused in the gang rape of a female student on a New Delhi bus has committed suicide in jail.
An official at Tihar jail says Ram Singh hanged himself with his own clothes Monday morning.
However, Singh's parents and lawyer say Singh was murdered in prison, and that an old hand injury made him incapable of hanging himself.
Singh's father said his son told him that he had been sodomized by other inmates who had repeatedly threatened his life.
Singh was accused of driving the bus on which a 23-year-old student was raped for more than two hours in December. Her internal injuries were so horrific she died two weeks later.
Singh was the leader of the gang of five men and a juvenile. The trial of the five adult men began in a special fast-track court last month while the juvenile's trial began last week.
- ENERGYUN Climate Change Conference in nine points
- TURKEYTurkey detains over 2,500 ISIL members over three years
- TURKEYInvestigators visit scene of Elçis killing on third day
- TURKEYElçi killed by 'obstructors of crime scene investigation': Turkish PM
- MIDDLE EAST'Security, hope at a low point for Palestinians'
Most Viewed News
- 1EUROPETurkish coast guards detain 752 asylum seekers
- 2MIDDLE EASTRussian airstrikes targeting Turkmen in Syria: Commander
- 3EUROPEChina to invest 1,72 billion USD for the construction of a highway between Montenegro and Albania
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey ready to talk with Russia, not apologize
- 5TURKEYEU, Turkey agree on refugee action plan