Massoud Barzani, President of the Kurdish Regional Government visited Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergei Lavrov in Moscow. Lavrov and Barzani discussed bilateral relations and the current situation in Iraq and Syria.
During the meetings in the 22nd of February, both Lavrov and Barzani underlined the need to improve relations with Iraq and the Regional Government. Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs repeated Russia’s desire to strengthen its relations with KRG.
Sure enough, recent developments in Syria were an important topic of the meetings. The effect of Syrian crisis on Iraq and Kurdish Regional Government were handled. KRG President denoted that more than 75.000 Syrians are in Kurdistan and added that KRG sends humanitarian aid to Syria for other refugees. Later, he emphasized that the rights of Syrian Kurds must be respected.
The two statesmen also negotiated the economic cooperation in Iraq and Kurdistan, especially the role of Russian energy companies.
By Cem Görgün
Barzani visits Moscow
February 28, 2013
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYThousands mark International Workers’ Day in Turkey amidst heavy security
- 2TURKEYEU-Turkey migrant deal is ‘necessary,’ says Hungary’s Orban
- 3TURKEYLast two days for historic Turkey-EU visa accord
- 4TURKEY5 soldiers, 2 officers killed in weekend terror attacks
- 5ECONOMYTurkey begins making its debut amphibious assault ship