Turkey is making a bid to take over as host of the Mobile World Congress that is currently taking place in Barcelona, as the Spanish citys contract with the organizer GSM Association (GSMA) will be over in 2018.
A Turkish delegation formed of three top Istanbul Chamber of Commerce (İTO) executives have reportedly been holding talks with organizers in Barcelona to host the congress, which gathers global technology and communication giants for three days in every last week of February. The event has been hosted by Barcelona since 2006. According to reports in Turkish daily newspapers, the delegation had a meeting with GSMA CEO John Hoffman and his team.
This years event ends on Feb. 28, and is being attended by around 20 Turkish technology companies, as well as the Transport Minister Binali Yıldırım. Barcelonas governors said they expected to raise 330 million euros from the congress, the worlds largest trade fair devoted to mobile devices.
Nearly 1,500 exhibitors have gathered in Barcelona each year to present their newest technologies and most innovative products.
Most Viewed News
- 1MIDDLE EASTSyria air campaign raises questions about Russian capabilities
- 2MIDDLE EASTSyrian government forces reportedly gearing up for ground offensive
- 3TURKEYTurkish PM thanked PYD during relocation of Ottoman tomb: HDPs Önder
- 4TURKEYErdogan: Russian bombs in Syria hit moderate opposition
- 5TURKEYCyprus talks set to address core issues, says Akinci