On January 30, Israel had attacked a convoy which was carrying chemical weapons from Syria to Lebanon according to Israeli sources. The Syrian government had stated that Israel had made the airstrike to the ‘Scientific Research Center’ in the capital city, Damascus, and two people died.
In response, certain countries including Syria, Lebanon, Iran and Russia, have condemned the attack of Israel against Syria. Also, they mentioned that the attack violating territorial integrity was not acceptable.
An expert on Syria, Moshe Moaz from Hebrew University of Jerusalem, argued that Israel decided to take this action without expecting retaliation from Iran or Hezbollah. However, the plan miscarried.
Syria and Iran have taken similar positions, and have threatened Israel with retaliation. While Iran has been arguing that the aim of Israel is to damage the power of the Syrian government over the opposition forces. Syrian authorities, on the other hand, expressed that Israel benefits from the ‘terrorist actions’ and therefore it has been aggravating them.
Also, Syria has sent a letter to the General Secretary of the UN, emphasizing its right to protect its government, territories and sovereignty. Beside, Syria, in this letter, argued that the UNSC is also responsible in this issue as much as Tel Aviv.
Russia has also shown a reaction by claiming that the Israeli attack is an explicit violation of the UN Agreement.
Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs, Davutoglu, not only reacted against Israel but also against Syria. He asked whether there is any collusion between Syria and Israel, as a response to the lack of any counter action (or acts of retaliation) on the part of Assad government.
Davutoglu added that Assad has not been as hesitant as now, while continuously attacking his own compatriots for the last 22 months ironically.
“We are never reckless or unresponsive to operations of Israel against any Muslim country.” , said Davutoglu on Turkey’s stance toward the Israeli attack.
Last week, Israel had warned that it would interfere in case of any threat of chemical weapons proceeding from Syria into the hands of terrorist groups.
Now, a representative from Netanyahu’s Likud Party gave signals for progression of Israeli attacks on Syrian territory.
Israel expressed that the essential aim of Israel is the auditing and control of chemical weapons belonging to Syria by the Western powers, but there has been no moves on the part of Western powers in this direction.
By Büþra Nur ÖZGÜLER
Despite Reactions Israel Implies Continuation of Air Strikes
February 2, 2013
- TURKEYCHP leader urges gov’t not to turn post-coup probe into ‘witch hunt’
- TURKEYUS offered to help on Gülen’s extradition, Turkish FM confirms
- EUROPENo isolationist path for Britain, Johnson insists
- TURKEYSyrian fighters seize half of Manbij from Islamic State
- TURKEYFlights as usual after failed coup attempt, Turkish Airlines chairman says
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYSyrian fighters seize half of Manbij from Islamic State
- 2EURASIARussia: Continuation of commercial and economic cooperation with Turkey
- 3TURKEYFlights as usual after failed coup attempt, Turkish Airlines chairman says
- 4AMERICASClinton selected Virginia senator as her running mate
- 5TURKEYMore than 8,000 people including judiciary members, soldiers, police officers and civil servants, have been arrested