MAKHACHKALA, December 29 (RIA Novosti) - Law enforcement officers have killed at least seven suspected militants in the Russian North Caucasus republic of Dagestan, a law enforcement source said.
The source said six of them had been killed during a police operation to storm an apartment where the suspects were blocked.
Earlier on Saturday, a spokesman for Dagestan’s Interior Ministry reported that on Friday evening, a man armed with two pistols “opened fire on police officers in the cordon and tried to break through to a house where militants were blocked,” adding that the attacker was killed by return fire. Two police officers were injured.
The Islamist insurgency, once confined largely to Chechnya, has spread in recent years across the North Caucasus. Attacks on security forces, police and civilians are reported regularly in the neighboring republics of Dagestan and Ingushetia, as well as in Kabardino-Balkaria.
- WORLDUN Security Council to Meet over North Korea Rocket Launch
- EUROPEAustria Wants EUR 600 M from EU to Cover Extra 2015 Asylum Costs
- AMERICASColombia: 3,100 Known Zika Cases in Pregnant Women
- EUROPEBulgaria's Growth to Fall in 2016, EU Says
- MIDDLE EASTIraq's Prime Minister Rejects Baghdad Wall Plans
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYTurkish President angry with US visit to PYD ‘terrorists’
- 2TURKEYErdogan: U.S. should choose between Turkey, Syrian Kurds
- 3TURKEYTurkey had to take in 3 million migrants: Deputy PM
- 4AMERICASUS: Rubio overshadows Trump in Republican debate
- 5EUROPEPrague Refugee Center Fire-Bombed After Anti-Muslim Protests