The U.S. aircraft carrier "Dwight D Eisenhower" has arrived off the shores of Syria.
The multipurpose nuclear attack carrier the U.S.S. Dwight D Eisenhower is leading the naval assault group which has arrived in the eastern Mediterranean.
It is in close proximity to the coast of Syria. On board the ship are 70 fighter-bombers and a total 8,000 US servicemen.
The Dwight D Eisenhower joined the amphibious assault helicopter carrier Iwo Jima, which has been in the area for almost two weeks.
In all there are now 17 American warships off the Syrian coast.
Thousands of American troops near Syrian shore on USS Eisenhower
The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, a large US Navy aircraft carrier that holds fighter bomber squadrons and 8,000 men on board, has appeared off Syrian coast yesterday amid arising speculations that the US is ready to attack Syria though there was no official announcement so far.
Media have already put forward suggestions that if Syrian President Bashar al-Assad decides to use chemical weapons against the opposition, the US will intervene the country militarily “within days”.
According to Jerusalem-based website DEBKAfile, the US has already near Syria at its disposal 10,000 fighting men, 17 warships, 70 fighter-bombers, 10 destroyers and frigates.
“The muscle is already there to be flexed,” a US official told the London Times about the US military’s presence outside of Syria.
“It’s premature to say what could happen if a decision is made to intervene. That hasn’t taken shape, we’ve not reached that kind of decision. There are a lot of options, but it [military action] could be launched rapidly, within days.”
Voice of Russia, TASS, RT
- MIDDLE EASTRussia bombs Turkish aid agency bakery in Syria
- MIDDLE EASTIsrael jails Swedish national for 'spying for Hezbollah'
- EURASIATourism minister invites Russian citizens to visit Turkey
- TURKEYArab e-drive supports Turkey goods against Russia sanctions
- MIDDLE EASTArab League marks int’l 'solidarity with Palestine' day
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGUS contradicts Putin on sharing downed jet's flght info
- 2RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGPutin approves economic sanctions against Turkey
- 3RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish citizens targeted in Russia, says embassy
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey received Russian pilot’s body, says PM
- 5EUROPEEU, Turkey hold summit to address migration crisis