Turkish dailies on Monday covered the rising tension in the north of Iraq, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's heavy criticism on the TV series "Muhtesem Yuzyil" and the demonstrations for the international day for the elimination of violence against women. The Anadolu Agency does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
Most of the Turkish dailies covered the rising tension in the north of Iraq, among Iraqi PM Nuri al-Maliki and Masoud Barzani, President of the regional government in northern Iraq. Daily MILLIYET said "War Position in Kirkuk". Barzani sent reinforcements and armored vehicles to Kirkuk after Iraqi military forces headed to the city.
Another story covered by most of the Turkish dailies was Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's criticism on the highly watched TV series "Muhtesem Yuzyil" (Magnificent Century) which depicts the era of Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. Erdogan slammed the series for the portrayal of the Sultan. He said "we do not have such ancestors" and called for judicial action against the series.
Lastly, the demonstrations on the occasion of the international day for the elimination of violence against women covered by most of the dailies. Daily CUMHURIYET said that "Women on street for fight with violence". People joined demonstrations in Istanbul and Ankara and called for social, legal sanctions.
- EUROPEFrench FM says can work with Syrian regime forces after transition
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish President Erdođan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- MIDDLE EASTErdođan and Putin may meet in Paris, but not yet scheduled: Turkish presidency
- AFRICAMore than one million children need urgent aid in the conflict-torn Central African Republic: UN
- ECONOMYTurkey’s tourism sector fears continued losses amid Russia crisis
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey suspends Syria flights after crisis with Russia
- 2RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGChina’s attitude towards Turkey's downing of a Russian fighter jet
- 3MIDDLE EASTSyrian Turkmen facing 'critical' period in battle
- 4ASIAChina urges coordination after Turkey downs Russian jet
- 5MIDDLE EAST‘Disastrous situation’ as Israel kills more than 100 Palestinians