Gunfire from Syria hit the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights overnight close to an Israeli military vehicle monitoring the ceasefire line but causing no injuries, the military said today, AFP reported.
"There was gunfire near an Israeli military vehicle which was driving along the security fence," a military spokeswoman said, adding the incident had occurred late on Sunday.
But she said troops in the area had not returned fire as they have done on previous occasions.
Such incidents have occurred with increasing frequency in the past few weeks as violence from the civil war in Syria spills across the ceasefire line.
Earlier this month, Israeli troops fired warning shots and tank shells across the UN-monitored ceasefire line in response to Syrian fire, in the first instance of Israeli fire directed at the Syrian military in the Golan Heights since their 1973 war.
Fears of a spillover of the conflict which has ravaged Syria for the past 20 months and left more than 40,000 dead, have widened as violence has spread to Syria's borders with Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.
- WORLDUN Security Council to Meet over North Korea Rocket Launch
- EUROPEAustria Wants EUR 600 M from EU to Cover Extra 2015 Asylum Costs
- AMERICASColombia: 3,100 Known Zika Cases in Pregnant Women
- EUROPEBulgaria's Growth to Fall in 2016, EU Says
- MIDDLE EASTIraq's Prime Minister Rejects Baghdad Wall Plans
Most Viewed News
- 1EUROPEEU's Unanimous Recognition of Kosovo to Normalise Relations with Serbia – MEPs
- 2TURKEYTurkish gov’t reveals much-vaunted ‘action plan’ to resolve Kurdish issue
- 3MIDDLE EASTUS calls for immediate halt to Russian airstrikes in Syria
- 4TURKEYEU to Ankara: You must help refugees
- 5TURKEYTurkish military launches large air campaign on PKK targets in northern Iraq