Gunfire from Syria hit the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights overnight close to an Israeli military vehicle monitoring the ceasefire line but causing no injuries, the military said today, AFP reported.
"There was gunfire near an Israeli military vehicle which was driving along the security fence," a military spokeswoman said, adding the incident had occurred late on Sunday.
But she said troops in the area had not returned fire as they have done on previous occasions.
Such incidents have occurred with increasing frequency in the past few weeks as violence from the civil war in Syria spills across the ceasefire line.
Earlier this month, Israeli troops fired warning shots and tank shells across the UN-monitored ceasefire line in response to Syrian fire, in the first instance of Israeli fire directed at the Syrian military in the Golan Heights since their 1973 war.
Fears of a spillover of the conflict which has ravaged Syria for the past 20 months and left more than 40,000 dead, have widened as violence has spread to Syria's borders with Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.
- ASIAChina blocks US navy ships' access to Hong Kong port
- AMERICASUS: Obama mocks Trump at last White House press dinner
- TURKEYThree Turkish soldiers killed, 14 wounded in PKK attack in southeast
- TURKEYTurkish police hold Daesh 'May Day attack' suspects
- TURKEYOfficer killed in bomb attack on Gaziantep police HQ in Turkey's southeast
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYNo EU migrant deal if visas not lifted: Turkish PM
- 2TURKEYPolice working to confirm Bursa suicide bomber’s identity
- 3TURKEYUK academic in Turkey faces five years in jail for ‘terrorism propaganda’
- 4EURASIARussian jet intercepts US aircraft in Baltic Sea
- 5ASIAAfghanistan welcomes investigative report on hospital attack in Kunduz