After issuing a mandate to the Turkish armed forces for cross-border operations in Syria, Turkey has deployed 250 tanks and artillery on the border with this country, the Hurriyet newspaper reported.
According to the newspaper, these actions are aimed at ensuring the security of the Turkish border and are not preparation for military action in Syrian territory.
Last week, Oct.3, Syrian shells killed five residents of the Turkish city of Akcakale in the Sanliurfa Province. Later such incidents were repeated. The Turkish side opened return fire at the Syrian positions which had fired the shells.
Ankara states that such measures are taken to prevent further provocations by Syria, but the start of an armed conflict is out of the question.
Most Viewed News
- 1MIDDLE EASTIranians mark anniversary of 1979 Islamic revolution holding 'Death to America, Israel' signs
- 2TURKEYIran cites Turkey as priority, proposes new economic plan
- 3EUROPETurkey bans 'Pro-Russian' Bulgarian politicians
- 4MIDDLE EASTAshrawi: “The Palestinian question needs unity, Palestinians need hope”
- 5TURKEYTurkey, Iran to boost dialogue says diplomat