In the event of a war with Syria, the Turkish army will need only three hours to reach the country's capital Damascus, Turkish TV channel Beyaz TV quotes MP from the ruling Justice and Development Party Samil Tayar as saying on Wednesday.
MP emphasized that Ankara is fully ready for military actions.
At least 5 people were killed in Sanlıurfa province on Oct.3, when a mortar exploded in the town center. Syrian side has repeated similar attacks several times.
Last week Turkish parliament approved issuing a mandate for cross-border military operations against Syria in response to the shelling of the Turkish city of Sanlıurfa by the Syrian army.
Ankara states that such measures are taken to prevent further provocations of Syria, and start of an armed conflict is out of the question.
- WORLDUS puts Switzerland on copyright watch list
- EUROPEPolice arrest four for corruption at migration office
- ECONOMYColombian minister proposes ending Novartis patent
- AMERICASEx-US speaker Hastert sentenced to 15 months
- ECONOMYForeign tourists visiting Turkey see sharpest drop in March since October 2006
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYEU calls on Turkey for focused efforts on integration of Syrian refugees
- 2ASIANine Taliban terrorists killed in Northern Afghanistan
- 3EURASIATurkey condemns outlawing of Crimean Tatar Mejlis
- 4TURKEYSuicide bomb attack in Turkey's Bursa wounds 13
- 5TURKEYPresident Erdoğan defends secularism after remarks by parliament speaker