Orgnaized crime has turned Latin America into the world’s most dangerous region in terms of violence, and it is possible to counter the trend only through join efforts of all countries, Mexican President Felipe Calderon said in a statement
He was speaking during a conference Friday to set up an Inter-American Institute for Cooperation in countering organized crime.
The Mexican leader feels that it is organized crime that’s become the main threat to the democratic development of Latin American nations.
Mexico’s Attorney-General, Marisela Morales, pointed out that the level of violence and crime in Latin America is directly tied to the problem of drug trafficking amid the population’s poverty.
Honduras boasts the dubious 2011 record in the number of assassinations per 100,000 of the population, - 86.
Most Viewed News
- 1MIDDLE EASTSyria air campaign raises questions about Russian capabilities
- 2MIDDLE EASTSyrian government forces reportedly gearing up for ground offensive
- 3TURKEYTurkish PM thanked PYD during relocation of Ottoman tomb: HDP’s Önder
- 4TURKEYErdogan: Russian bombs in Syria hit moderate opposition
- 5TURKEYCyprus talks set to address core issues, says Akinci