Orgnaized crime has turned Latin America into the world’s most dangerous region in terms of violence, and it is possible to counter the trend only through join efforts of all countries, Mexican President Felipe Calderon said in a statement
He was speaking during a conference Friday to set up an Inter-American Institute for Cooperation in countering organized crime.
The Mexican leader feels that it is organized crime that’s become the main threat to the democratic development of Latin American nations.
Mexico’s Attorney-General, Marisela Morales, pointed out that the level of violence and crime in Latin America is directly tied to the problem of drug trafficking amid the population’s poverty.
Honduras boasts the dubious 2011 record in the number of assassinations per 100,000 of the population, - 86.
Most Viewed News
- 1EUROPETurkish coast guards detain 752 asylum seekers
- 2MIDDLE EASTRussian airstrikes targeting Turkmen in Syria: Commander
- 3EUROPEChina to invest 1,72 billion USD for the construction of a highway between Montenegro and Albania
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey ready to talk with Russia, not apologize
- 5TURKEYEU, Turkey agree on refugee action plan