The number of military officials, members of parliament and diplomats who quit Bashar al-Assad's regime is increasing.
Following former Prime Minister Riad Hijab and Prime Ministry spokesman Mohammed Itri's defection from the Syrian Army, one journalist, three lieutenant colonels and one auditor joined to Free Syrian Army (FSA) on Tuesday.
Salih Omar from Syrian TV channel, colonels Hassan Bedawi, Whalid Hassan and Khalid Hassan, and Bedawi's wife, auditor Lalia Khredi defected to FSA.
On the other hand, former Syrian Prime Minister Riad Hijab, who defected to Jordan last week, said that he had quitted the Syrian Army with his own will.
"I have not been discharged, for the favor of my country and my conscience I left the regime with my own will. I could not bear anymore the regime that shells Aleppo, Homs and Hama with fighters," said Hijab.
- ASIAG7 summit -- hijacked, sidetracked
- ASIAS. Korean president announces comprehensive cooperation with Africa
- ASIAChina expresses dissatisfaction with G7 statement on South China Sea
- ASIAJapan wants to portray itself as a victim during Obama's Hiroshima visit
- TURKEYTurkey upset over images of U.S. soldiers with Kurdish insignia
Most Viewed News
- 1ECONOMYKazakhstan to maintain its leading position in uranium mining, Kanat Bozumbayev
- 2TURKEYAnkara will no longer need US drones
- 3ECONOMYTurkey sees steepest decline in monthly foreign arrivals since May 1999
- 4MIDDLE EASTTurkish FM calls for pluralist new Syria
- 5EUROPECall for peace negotiations between the Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots