Syrian Ambassador to the Republic of Cyprus Lamia al-Hariri joined the opposition, Al Arabiya TV channel reported.
According to the TV channel, after joining the opposition Al-Hariri traveled to Qatar and is still there. Al-Hariri has not made an official statement yet.
Earlier, Syrian Ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares also announced about joining the opposition.
Anti-government protests have continued in Syria for more than a year.
They turned into an armed struggle between the opposition and units of the power structures of the country. Reports about new armed incidents and victims appear on a regular basis. This is despite the country having declared a truce since mid-April according to UN-Arab League special envoy to Syria Kofi Annan's plan.
According to UN, the total number of victims of the conflict in Syria has exceeded 12,000 people. About 230,000 people became refugees.
Most Viewed News
- 1ECONOMYKazakhstan to maintain its leading position in uranium mining, Kanat Bozumbayev
- 2TURKEYAnkara will no longer need US drones
- 3ECONOMYTurkey sees steepest decline in monthly foreign arrivals since May 1999
- 4MIDDLE EASTTurkish FM calls for pluralist new Syria
- 5EUROPECall for peace negotiations between the Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots