Syrian Ambassador to the Republic of Cyprus Lamia al-Hariri joined the opposition, Al Arabiya TV channel reported.
According to the TV channel, after joining the opposition Al-Hariri traveled to Qatar and is still there. Al-Hariri has not made an official statement yet.
Earlier, Syrian Ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares also announced about joining the opposition.
Anti-government protests have continued in Syria for more than a year.
They turned into an armed struggle between the opposition and units of the power structures of the country. Reports about new armed incidents and victims appear on a regular basis. This is despite the country having declared a truce since mid-April according to UN-Arab League special envoy to Syria Kofi Annan's plan.
According to UN, the total number of victims of the conflict in Syria has exceeded 12,000 people. About 230,000 people became refugees.
- TURKEYCHP leader urges gov’t not to turn post-coup probe into ‘witch hunt’
- TURKEYUS offered to help on Gülen’s extradition, Turkish FM confirms
- EUROPENo isolationist path for Britain, Johnson insists
- TURKEYSyrian fighters seize half of Manbij from Islamic State
- TURKEYFlights as usual after failed coup attempt, Turkish Airlines chairman says
Most Viewed News