Syrian Ambassador to the Republic of Cyprus Lamia al-Hariri joined the opposition, Al Arabiya TV channel reported.
According to the TV channel, after joining the opposition Al-Hariri traveled to Qatar and is still there. Al-Hariri has not made an official statement yet.
Earlier, Syrian Ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares also announced about joining the opposition.
Anti-government protests have continued in Syria for more than a year.
They turned into an armed struggle between the opposition and units of the power structures of the country. Reports about new armed incidents and victims appear on a regular basis. This is despite the country having declared a truce since mid-April according to UN-Arab League special envoy to Syria Kofi Annan's plan.
According to UN, the total number of victims of the conflict in Syria has exceeded 12,000 people. About 230,000 people became refugees.
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGRussia releases radar analysis of downed jet
- ECONOMYŽimžek to become Turkeys new economy tsar, as Erdošans allies take key posts in administration
- ECONOMYRussia crisis hits Turkish stocks
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGObama, Erdošan agree on the need to de-escalate tension between Turkey and Russia
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTwo Russian warplanes violated Turkish airspace for 17 seconds: Turkey
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYTurkey warns Russia over border security
- 2MIDDLE EASTSyrian regime forces take over strategic Turkmen area
- 3EURASIARussia, Assad regime continue pounding Turkmen Mountain
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish F-16s shoot down Russian-made jet for airspace violation near Syrian border
- 5TURKEYTurkey sends letter to UN on attacks on Turkmens