Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will sooner or later be out of power.
Speaking at a joint press conference with South Africa's Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe following a tete-a-tete meeting in Ankara, Erdogan said that Bashar al-Assad was preparing his own end.
Answering a question on the latest developments in Syria, Erdogan said that he held a meeting with al-Assad that lasted more than 3.5 hours when he went to Aleppo for the ground-breaking ceremony of a dam over River Asi at the beginning of 2011.
In that meeting, we said many things on the developments in North Africa and Syria's problems. We have had very good relations with Syria for the past 7-7.5 years. Our families have had good relations. Our President, Foreign Minister and I made efforts to develop our relations with Syria, Erdogan stated.
Yet al-Assad has never kept promises. We now see him rule his people with brutality. Al-Assad has silenced his people with tanks and artilleries on the streets and by killing them. Surely, the dead have become silent. While they may think that the dead people have been silenced, there is one thing that can not be silenced and that is humanity. Humanity can not be silenced. The people of the country will not be silent and no power can remain standing in front of the will of the people, including a regular army. Each passing day, the Syrian opposition is getting closer to their goal. Bashar tries to be on his feet with the support of a few countries, Erdogan stressed.
"Bashar al-Assad will soon go away"
The world is now against Bashar. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday emphasized that the Assad administration has lost all legitimacy, Erdogan indicated.
UN observers must serve in all corners of Syria, Erdogan said.
There must be UN observers in all corners of Syria so we can all learn what is happening there. The UN observers have been fired upon when they entered the village of Al Qubayr. They have seen that humans were burned to death in that village. The observers have seen people whose throats were slashed. Only a person like Assad can do such a brutal thing, Erdogan stated.
What Assad is doing is barbarism and persecution. You can not be prosperous by cruelty. You can not stand on your feet with cruelty. As a country sharing a border of 910 kilometers with Syria, we will not remain silent. I want to make it very clear that Assad will soon go away. He just can not stay in power any longer. Bashar al-Assad is preparing his own end. Who are helping Syria- You know them all. I have discussed the issue of Syria when I visited China and Iran and in my phone talks with Russia. We will visit Russia if time permits. Otherwise, we will talk with Russian President Vladimir Putin at the G-20 summit, Erdogan also said.
- TURKEYRussian party seeks ‘accountability for Armenian genocide denial’
- ECONOMYAlarm bells toll for Turkish tourism sector over Russia crisis
- ECONOMYTurkish investment agency hopeful for 2016
- ECONOMYIndependence of Central Bank will be a closing benchmark
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish FM calls Russia’s Lavrov 'to express sorrow'
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGWhile Turkey protects its borders, Putin says “we were stabbed in the back”
- 2RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey shoots down Russian jet for airspace violation near Syrian border
- 3RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGObama backs Turkish self-defense in row with Russia, urges calm
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGPentagon: Russian pilot did not respond Turkish warnings
- 5RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGRussia releases radar analysis of downed jet