Turkeys ambassadors to Cairo and Damascus visited Arab League Secretary Nabil al-Arabi in Cairo and discussed the latest developments in Syria ahead of an Arab League summit on Syria which aims to bring together more Syrian opposition groups under the framework of a Syrian opposition national pact.
Hüseyin Avni Botsalı, Turkeys ambassador to Egypt, and Ömer Önhon, Turkeys ambassador to Syria, the United Nations, the European Union and Russias ambassador to Egypt are expected to attend the meeting, which will also focus on the implementation of Annans peace plan and the ongoing violence taking place across the country, according to Anatolia news agency.
The upcoming Arab League gathering aims to bring together more Syrian opposition groups under the framework of a Syrian opposition national pact, which was agreed on by Syrian dissents in a meeting in Istanbul, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said.
Arab League General Secretary Nabil al-Arabi telephoned Davutoğlu and informed him about the upcoming meeting in Cairo regarding the Syrian opposition, the minister told reporters yesterday. When asked about a dialogue between Syrian administration and Syrian opposition during the Cairo meeting, Davutoğlu said there was no such information. For such a process, first of all the Annan Plan must fully be implemented, the minister added.
There were still some uncertainties about the meeting, but preparations were ongoing, Davutoğlu said, adding that Turkey was involved in the process and was in discussions with Syrian opposition. A Turkish official would also participate to the meeting, he said.
- EUROPEFrench FM says can work with Syrian regime forces after transition
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish President Erdoğan warns Russia not to play with fire
- MIDDLE EASTErdoğan and Putin may meet in Paris, but not yet scheduled: Turkish presidency
- AFRICAMore than one million children need urgent aid in the conflict-torn Central African Republic: UN
- ECONOMYTurkeys tourism sector fears continued losses amid Russia crisis
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey suspends Syria flights after crisis with Russia
- 2RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGChinas attitude towards Turkey's downing of a Russian fighter jet
- 3MIDDLE EASTSyrian Turkmen facing 'critical' period in battle
- 4MIDDLE EASTDisastrous situation as Israel kills more than 100 Palestinians
- 5ASIAChina urges coordination after Turkey downs Russian jet