Activists from Ukraine’s nationalist party Bratstvo on Monday mocked Soviet Dictator Joseph Stalin by installing a Pissing Stalin Golden Monument in Kiev and in the western city Lvov, Unian news agency said.
The 1.50-meter wooden sculptures are covered in golden paint. The party also planned to unveil two Pissing Stalin Golden Monuments in Odessa and Dnepropetrovsk.
Kiev and Lvov police dismantled the Stalin Pis monuments hours after they were unveiled.
Initially, Lvov activists planned to set up the monument on Lvov’s downtown Rynok Square, but later changed their minds.
Several Lvov journalists and local police officers gathered on Rynok Square at 2 p.m. local time to see the monument, however nothing happened. Later, a young man came and invited them to come to the trade center nearby and enjoy the sculpture.
“It’s obvious that the sculpture would not have remained for long in the middle of the square, but here, we hope, it will stay for a while,” said Vitaly Cherny, editor with Bratstvo website.
He emphasized that the sculpture brings up associations with the famous Manneken Pis fountain in Brussels. The campaign with the golden monuments is a joke aimed to attract the attention of “mad fans of Stalin,” he added.
In late April, Activists of the radical All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks unveiled plans to erect monuments to Stalin in Kiev, Lvov, Odessa and Dnepropetrovsk on May 7, as part of Victory Day celebrations, the Party said in a statement on Wednesday.
- TURKEYPolice detain PKK suspects in Istanbul operation
- AFRICALandmine kills UN worker in Mali
- AMERICASCanada won’t make Syrian refugee target by year’s end
- AFRICAUnderprivileged Nairobi suburb eager for Pope's visit
- EURASIARussia confirms rescue of 2nd Su-24 pilot, deployment of air defense systems in Syria
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYTurkey warns Russia over border security
- 2MIDDLE EASTSyrian regime forces take over strategic Turkmen area
- 3EURASIARussia, Assad regime continue pounding Turkmen Mountain
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish F-16s shoot down Russian-made jet for airspace violation near Syrian border
- 5TURKEYTurkey sends letter to UN on attacks on Turkmens