CAIRO - An Islamist group called "al-Nusra Front" claimed responsibility on Sunday for a suicide bombing which killed at least nine people in the Syrian capital Damascus on Friday.
The group named the bomber as Abu Omar al-Shami and said he detonated his explosives amidst 150 members of the Syrian security forces who were gathered outside the Zain al-Abideen mosque in the Midan district of Damascus.
It was not possible to verify the statement.
Most Viewed News
- 1AFRICASAfrica defense's minister under fire for jet 'rescue'
- 2EURASIAWarning of war, ex-deputy commander says NATO must counter 'Russian adventurism' in Baltics
- 3EURASIANATO must encounter 'Russian adventurism' in Baltics
- 4ASIAPresident Nazarbayev, IMF Chief Christine Lagarde to meet in Astana May 24
- 5TURKEYUN receives criticism in humanitarian summit in Istanbul