CAIRO - An Islamist group called "al-Nusra Front" claimed responsibility on Sunday for a suicide bombing which killed at least nine people in the Syrian capital Damascus on Friday.
The group named the bomber as Abu Omar al-Shami and said he detonated his explosives amidst 150 members of the Syrian security forces who were gathered outside the Zain al-Abideen mosque in the Midan district of Damascus.
It was not possible to verify the statement.
- EUROPEFrench FM says can work with Syrian regime forces after transition
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish President Erdođan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’
- MIDDLE EASTErdođan and Putin may meet in Paris, but not yet scheduled: Turkish presidency
- AFRICAMore than one million children need urgent aid in the conflict-torn Central African Republic: UN
- ECONOMYTurkey’s tourism sector fears continued losses amid Russia crisis
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey suspends Syria flights after crisis with Russia
- 2MIDDLE EAST‘Disastrous situation’ as Israel kills more than 100 Palestinians
- 3TURKEYTurkish journalists jailed over spying charges
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGDavutoglu: Partners must unite with Turkey against Daesh
- 5RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish President Erdođan warns Russia ‘not to play with fire’