CAIRO - An Islamist group called "al-Nusra Front" claimed responsibility on Sunday for a suicide bombing which killed at least nine people in the Syrian capital Damascus on Friday.
The group named the bomber as Abu Omar al-Shami and said he detonated his explosives amidst 150 members of the Syrian security forces who were gathered outside the Zain al-Abideen mosque in the Midan district of Damascus.
It was not possible to verify the statement.
- MIDDLE EASTOpposition backs safe zone as Syrians flee latest bombs
- MIDDLE EASTSeeking safe haven, Syrians converge on Turkish border
- ASIATaiwan: 41 dead, 109 still missing 3 days after quake
- AMERICASObama must be firm on release of Malaysia’s Ibrahim: HRW
- AMERICASHaiti opposition will not support overthrow by parliament
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYTurkey sends in aid for stranded Syrian refugees
- 2EUROPEKosovo, Bosnian Activists Demand End to Visas
- 3TURKEYTurkey to take in more Syrians as numbers surge on border
- 4ENERGYExpecting the unexpected: Why the oil price keeps surprising us
- 5EUROPEGreece and Azerbaijan proceed with a strategic energy alliance