South Korea hosts the 10th conference of member states of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification. Its members discuss ways to strengthen cooperation in combating drought, desertification and soil degradation. Addressing them with a video message, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said that the prevention of desertification will be crucial for sustainable development.
"If we are to protect, restore and promote the use of land and soil, we can solve many problems at the same time," said Ban Ki-moon.
UN head urged to work together to make sure that reasonable land use has become the cornerstone of sustainable development.
The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification was adopted in 1994. However, land suitable for agriculture, continue to decline throughout the world, threatening food security and triggering humanitarian and economic crises.
- AFRICABurkina Faso may close borders for general election
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGRussian claims over Turkey-Daesh oil trade refuted
- ASIAJapanese PM orders budget focus on welfare, agriculture
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGEnergy debate: 'Russia dependent on Turkey'
- TURKEYTurkish protesters accuse Russia of bombing civilians
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGChina’s attitude towards Turkey's downing of a Russian fighter jet
- 2RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey suspends Syria flights after crisis with Russia
- 3MIDDLE EASTSyrian Turkmen facing 'critical' period in battle
- 4ASIAChina urges coordination after Turkey downs Russian jet
- 5EUROPEFrance to send 300 special forces to Congo