South Korea hosts the 10th conference of member states of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification. Its members discuss ways to strengthen cooperation in combating drought, desertification and soil degradation. Addressing them with a video message, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said that the prevention of desertification will be crucial for sustainable development.
"If we are to protect, restore and promote the use of land and soil, we can solve many problems at the same time," said Ban Ki-moon.
UN head urged to work together to make sure that reasonable land use has become the cornerstone of sustainable development.
The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification was adopted in 1994. However, land suitable for agriculture, continue to decline throughout the world, threatening food security and triggering humanitarian and economic crises.
Most Viewed News
- 1INTERVIEWSProf. Ýhsan Bal: “Ankara bombing should have been prevented”
- 2ANKARA BLASTSTurkey in mourning after Ankara blasts
- 3AFRICASaving Kenyan girls from traditional practices
- 4ANKARA BLASTSObama leads support for Turkey in wake of Ankara bombs
- 5MIDDLE EASTNorthern Iraq unrest hinges on presidency’s fate: expert