South Korea hosts the 10th conference of member states of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification. Its members discuss ways to strengthen cooperation in combating drought, desertification and soil degradation. Addressing them with a video message, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said that the prevention of desertification will be crucial for sustainable development.
"If we are to protect, restore and promote the use of land and soil, we can solve many problems at the same time," said Ban Ki-moon.
UN head urged to work together to make sure that reasonable land use has become the cornerstone of sustainable development.
The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification was adopted in 1994. However, land suitable for agriculture, continue to decline throughout the world, threatening food security and triggering humanitarian and economic crises.
- MIDDLE EASTHezbollah captives in Syria condemn the organization's involvement in Syria's civil war
- MIDDLE EASTSaudi Arabia prepared for ground war in Syria, military spokesman says
- MIDDLE EASTAnalysis: Russia, US compete to ally with Kurds in ISIS fight
- MIDDLE EASTReport: Iran hacked former IDF chief's computer
- AMERICASSanders, Trump take NH primary; Sanders becomes first Jew to win presidential contest
Most Viewed News
- 1MIDDLE EASTPeshmerga needs $300M a month to fight Daesh: official
- 2TURKEYTurkey is 'last castle of oppressed nations', says PM
- 3AMERICASObama must be firm on release of Malaysia’s Ibrahim: HRW
- 4TURKEYTurkish PM warns Russia by recalling Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
- 5TURKEYTurkish President Erdođan hosts urgent security summit with top officials