A student was accidentally shot dead Sunday by her brother while celebrating her success in passing the Tawjihi high school exit exams, police said.
Fatima Al-Masdar was killed by a stray bullet during celebratory gunfire to mark the release of Tawjihi results in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Al-Masdar had scored 95.2 percent in the tests, which prepare students for entry into universities.
In the Middle East, it is customary for men to fire gunshots into the air to celebrate wedding parties and other significant events, but Palestinian security services have repeatedly warned the public not to use weapons or fireworks during celebrations to avoid tragedies.
- MIDDLE EASTIsrael defies international law by holding bodies of slain Palestinians
- EUROPEBelgian security crackdown 'should not target Muslims'
- MIDDLE EASTSyria: Russian warplanes kill 11 civilians in Idlib
- ASIAReport: North Korean sub missile launch 'fails'
- EUROPESpanish police arrest three in connection with Daesh
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey hopes tensions with Russia resolve soon
- 2RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey advises its citizens to delay trips to Russia
- 3EUROPEIan Kearns warned the current NATO-Russian close military encounters would have serious consequences
- 4TURKEYErdogan reiterates Turkey’s resolve against PKK
- 5RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGGeorgia backs Turkey over Russia warplane incident