A student was accidentally shot dead Sunday by her brother while celebrating her success in passing the Tawjihi high school exit exams, police said.
Fatima Al-Masdar was killed by a stray bullet during celebratory gunfire to mark the release of Tawjihi results in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Al-Masdar had scored 95.2 percent in the tests, which prepare students for entry into universities.
In the Middle East, it is customary for men to fire gunshots into the air to celebrate wedding parties and other significant events, but Palestinian security services have repeatedly warned the public not to use weapons or fireworks during celebrations to avoid tragedies.
- EUROPEImmigration debate limits Britain’s refugee response
- MIDDLE EASTEx-Islamic State prisoners flee after coalition airstrikes
- EUROPEProtesting Greek Farmers Renew Blockades Along Bulgarian-Greek Border
- MIDDLE EASTPalestinians warn of burst of violence if funds run short
- EUROPESerbia Ready to Follow Suit if Others on Balkan Migrant Route Close Borders
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYTurkey’s Erdođan asks UN: Are you mocking us?
- 2MIDDLE EASTAnalysis: Russia, US compete to ally with Kurds in ISIS fight
- 3TURKEYSyrian army gets closer to Turkish borders, advancing on 2 fronts
- 4MIDDLE EASTUS spy chief: Russia strengthened Assad negotiating power
- 5TURKEYTurkey summons US envoy over Washington's PYD remarks