A student was accidentally shot dead Sunday by her brother while celebrating her success in passing the Tawjihi high school exit exams, police said.
Fatima Al-Masdar was killed by a stray bullet during celebratory gunfire to mark the release of Tawjihi results in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Al-Masdar had scored 95.2 percent in the tests, which prepare students for entry into universities.
In the Middle East, it is customary for men to fire gunshots into the air to celebrate wedding parties and other significant events, but Palestinian security services have repeatedly warned the public not to use weapons or fireworks during celebrations to avoid tragedies.
- MIDDLE EASTU.S. airdrops ammunition to Syrian rebel groups
- EUROPEMan faces criminal charges for sexually assaulting 36 underage girls in Finland
- ASIAJapan's protest at UNESCO listing "unreasonable"
- ANKARA BLASTSAnti-gov't protests erupt as Turkey mourns bombing victims
- ASIACPC schedules meeting on new 5-year plan
Most Viewed News
- 1ANKARA BLASTSTurkey in mourning after Ankara blasts
- 2AFRICASaving Kenyan girls from traditional practices
- 3ANKARA BLASTSObama leads support for Turkey in wake of Ankara bombs
- 4ANKARA BLASTSAK Party, CHP leaders meet over Ankara bombings
- 5EURASIAPutin rules out possibility of ground operations in Syria