A student was accidentally shot dead Sunday by her brother while celebrating her success in passing the Tawjihi high school exit exams, police said.
Fatima Al-Masdar was killed by a stray bullet during celebratory gunfire to mark the release of Tawjihi results in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Al-Masdar had scored 95.2 percent in the tests, which prepare students for entry into universities.
In the Middle East, it is customary for men to fire gunshots into the air to celebrate wedding parties and other significant events, but Palestinian security services have repeatedly warned the public not to use weapons or fireworks during celebrations to avoid tragedies.
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYEU-Turkey migrant deal is ‘necessary,’ says Hungary’s Orban
- 2TURKEYThousands mark International Workers’ Day in Turkey amidst heavy security
- 3ASIAMyanmar boat disaster victims Muslim, but which ones?
- 4TURKEYLast two days for historic Turkey-EU visa accord
- 5TURKEYParliament leaves EU deal votes to last day