Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Hassan Mansour has stated that the case of four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982 should be seriously pursued.
Mansour made the remarks during a meeting with Iranian Ambassador to Lebanon Ghazanfar Roknabadi in Beirut on Thursday.
Four Iranian nationals, chargé d’affaires Mohsen Mousavi, military attaché of the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran Ahmad Motevasellian, Taqi Rastegar Moqaddam, a diplomat from the embassy, and Kazem Akhavan, a reporter and photographer from the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), were captured by a Phalangist militia while traveling to southern Lebanon in 1982, then handed over to the Zionist regime and transferred to a prison in occupied Palestine.
During the meeting, Roknabadi pointed to the 29th anniversary of the abduction of the Iranian diplomats and said thanks to the repeated follow-up on the part of Iranian officials, the Lebanese government sent a letter to the United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon three years ago “in which it confirmed that the four diplomats were abducted on the Lebanese soil and called on the UN to make efforts to help solve the case.”
He added, “The UN secretary general also pointed to the abduction of these people in his regular report to the Security Council and expressed readiness to solve the case.”
In addition, the former Iranian foreign minister, in a letter to UN secretary general, had proposed that this international organization should establish a fact-finding committee to help determine the fate of the diplomats, Roknabadi explained.
But unfortunately, the secretary general has not sent a clear-cut response yet, he stated.
Foreign Minister Mansour emphasized that the case should be pursued until an acceptable result is achieved.
Elsewhere in his remarks, Roknabadi pointed to the International Conference on Global Fight against Terrorism, which is scheduled to be held in Tehran from June 25 to 26, and briefed the Lebanese foreign minister on the agenda of the conference.
Mansour is scheduled to represent Lebanese President Michel Sleiman in the conference.
Roknabadi also submitted Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi’s congratulation message on Mansour as the new Lebanese foreign minister.
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGRussia releases radar analysis of downed jet
- ECONOMYŢimţek to become Turkey’s new economy tsar, as Erdođan’s allies take key posts in administration
- ECONOMYRussia crisis hits Turkish stocks
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGObama, Erdođan agree on the need to de-escalate tension between Turkey and Russia
- RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTwo Russian warplanes violated Turkish airspace for 17 seconds: Turkey
Most Viewed News
- 1TURKEYTurkey warns Russia over border security
- 2MIDDLE EASTSyrian regime forces take over strategic Turkmen area
- 3EURASIARussia, Assad regime continue pounding Turkmen Mountain
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkish F-16s shoot down Russian-made jet for airspace violation near Syrian border
- 5TURKEYTurkey sends letter to UN on attacks on Turkmens