Azerbaijan, Baku, June 16 /Trend News, T. Jafarov/ Vice President under Iran's former President Mohammad Khatami and Adviser to presidential candidate Mehri Karroubi Mohammad Ali Abtahi has been arrested in his house at early morning today, head of Abtahi's office Majid Gadamali told Trend News over telephone from Tehran.
Gadamali said unknown men arrested Abtahi without showing any documents and took him to unknown place at roughly 05:30 local time. "Charges against Abtahi and by which agency he was arrested are not known yet," Gadamali said.
He said Abtahi's family has taken the matter to court to release him.
Following publication of election results held on June 12, some political activists, journalists and those opposing Ahmadinejad were arrested. Relatives say they are arrested by unknown men who not introduce them. Some of the arrested were released later.
- MIDDLE EASTSyrian FM arrives in Tehran for trilateral talks
- MIDDLE EASTU.S., IAEA discuss future verification of Iran nuke deal
- MIDDLE EASTIran welcomes neighbors' investments in its projects: president
- MIDDLE EASTIran, U.S. in talks over opening chamber of commerce: official
- MIDDLE EASTVideo shows Gaddafi's son being tortured in Libyan jail