Azerbaijan, Baku, June 16 /Trend News, T. Jafarov/ Vice President under Iran's former President Mohammad Khatami and Adviser to presidential candidate Mehri Karroubi Mohammad Ali Abtahi has been arrested in his house at early morning today, head of Abtahi's office Majid Gadamali told Trend News over telephone from Tehran.
Gadamali said unknown men arrested Abtahi without showing any documents and took him to unknown place at roughly 05:30 local time. "Charges against Abtahi and by which agency he was arrested are not known yet," Gadamali said.
He said Abtahi's family has taken the matter to court to release him.
Following publication of election results held on June 12, some political activists, journalists and those opposing Ahmadinejad were arrested. Relatives say they are arrested by unknown men who not introduce them. Some of the arrested were released later.
- 1AFRICAKenya says security forces foiled multiple terror attacks
- 2AMERICASThe US is fully prepared to fight Putin - to the last Ukrainian
- 3EUROPEHollande shell-shocked by revelations of Ukrainian armys Minsk violations
- 4MIDDLE EASTSaudi ground troops enter northern Yemen
- 5ASIAPakistan poses no threat despite growing nuclear arsenal - Official