The Second Forum of Alliance of Civilizations began in Istanbul on Monday.
Speaking at the inauguration of the forum, High Representative for Alliance of Civilizations Jorge Sampaio said that their goal and desire were more cooperation and better dialogue, adding that this was needed if countries wanted to overcome the difficult days due to global economic crisis.
Sampaio said that the only aim of the Alliance of Civilizations was to serve as a dialogue platform.
He also said that it would be very fruitful to invest in culture of peace, education on human rights and good governance in cultural diversity.
Sampaio said that Alliance of Civilizations was a right step taken at the right time, adding that they altogether would succeed to have proper results.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who also spoke at the inauguration of the forum, said that the efforts, which were exerted within the scope of the Alliance, were beyond prevention of problems; they were for development of solutions to the problems.
He said that bringing differences together would secure peace, strengthen economy and provide a stable milieu for investors.
Ban added that Alliance of Civilizations was established on very strong ideas.
Struggle was very important in today's world, Ban said and stated that it was necessary to do everything to eliminate differences, hatred and hostilities in the world in such an inconsistent milieu.
Most Viewed News
- 1RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGWhile Turkey protects its borders, Putin says “we were stabbed in the back”
- 2RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGTurkey shoots down Russian jet for airspace violation near Syrian border
- 3RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGObama backs Turkish self-defense in row with Russia, urges calm
- 4RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGPentagon: Russian pilot did not respond Turkish warnings
- 5RUSSIAN JET DOWNINGU.S. urges calm following Turkish downing of Russian jet