MK Ya'acov Litzman of United Torah Judaism (UTJ) accepted late Sunday night the health portfolio in Binyamin Netanyahu's government.
While Litzman will only carry the title of deputy minister, he will in practice be heading the ministry.
Litzman accepted the portfolio following Netanyahu's repeated request, as well as deliberation within his party on the question which deputy ministry portfolio should be accepted.
Sources close to Netanyahu said that in the case of decisions necessitating the health minister's signature, the premier himself would be the authority to sign. RELATEDUTJ infighting drags out appointment of health minister
Earlier Sunday, Netanyahu had told the cabinet at the beginning of the meeting that he would soon name someone to head the health system, but declined to say who this would be or what position he or she would hold.
"I will soon appoint a head of the health system so there will be a clear address," he said.
Matthew Wagner contributed to this report.
- 1EUROPESerbia’s Kosovo Serb policy rattles the foundations of Serbia’s multi-ethnic structure
- 2AFRICATurkey promotes defense industry in S. Africa
- 3MIDDLE EAST18 Turkish workers kidnapped in Baghdad
- 4AMERICASUS blacklists Russian firms over Ukraine, alleged nuclear proliferation
- 5TURKEYTen migrants drowned trying to reach Greece's Kos