MK Ya'acov Litzman of United Torah Judaism (UTJ) accepted late Sunday night the health portfolio in Binyamin Netanyahu's government.
While Litzman will only carry the title of deputy minister, he will in practice be heading the ministry.
Litzman accepted the portfolio following Netanyahu's repeated request, as well as deliberation within his party on the question which deputy ministry portfolio should be accepted.
Sources close to Netanyahu said that in the case of decisions necessitating the health minister's signature, the premier himself would be the authority to sign. RELATEDUTJ infighting drags out appointment of health minister
Earlier Sunday, Netanyahu had told the cabinet at the beginning of the meeting that he would soon name someone to head the health system, but declined to say who this would be or what position he or she would hold.
"I will soon appoint a head of the health system so there will be a clear address," he said.
Matthew Wagner contributed to this report.
- MIDDLE EASTSyrian FM arrives in Tehran for trilateral talks
- MIDDLE EASTU.S., IAEA discuss future verification of Iran nuke deal
- MIDDLE EASTIran welcomes neighbors' investments in its projects: president
- MIDDLE EASTIran, U.S. in talks over opening chamber of commerce: official
- MIDDLE EASTVideo shows Gaddafi's son being tortured in Libyan jail