Turkish Parliament Speaker Koksal Toptan cut short his formal visit to Tunisia and departed for Turkey on Thursday after a helicopter crash in which a political party leader is still missing in Turkey.
Muhsin Yazicioglu, leader of the Grand Unity Party (BBP), was one of six passengers on board when the helicopter crashed Wednesday. Turkish political party leaders cancelled their campaigns for Sunday's local elections to show respect to Yazicioglu.
Toptan, who was on a formal visit to Tunisia, flied back to Turkey in the evening and he headed directly to the southern province of Kahramanmaras where the helicopter crash occurred.
Search and rescue efforts are under way to find the helicopter that crashed to a snow-covered mountainous area.
Most Viewed News
- 1AFRICASAfrica defense's minister under fire for jet 'rescue'
- 2EURASIAWarning of war, ex-deputy commander says NATO must counter 'Russian adventurism' in Baltics
- 3EURASIANATO must encounter 'Russian adventurism' in Baltics
- 4ASIAPresident Nazarbayev, IMF Chief Christine Lagarde to meet in Astana May 24
- 5TURKEYUN receives criticism in humanitarian summit in Istanbul