Connery ’turning back on movies’
August 2, 2005
Sir Sean Connery has said he does not want to act in any more movies because he was "fed up with the idiots" now working in Hollywood. The James Bond actor, 74, said he would need "a Mafia-like offer I couldn't refuse" to appear in another film. "He has no plans to do any more films," Sir Sean's spokeswoman confirmed. "However, he did make a very famous film called Never Say Never Again." He also told the New Zealand Herald why he abandoned his planned autobiography. 'Didn't understand role' Sir Sean, who most recently appeared in 2003's The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, explained why he was disillusioned with Hollywood. He said: "I'm fed up with the idiots... the ever-widening gap between people who know how to make movies and the people who green-light the movies." Sir Sean added: "I don't say they're all idiots. I'm just saying there's a lot of them that are very good at it." He said he turned down the role of Gandalf in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy - a part taken by Sir Ian McKellen - because "I never understood it". Sir Sean added that he pulled out of a lucrative autobiography deal earlier this year because he felt that the publisher wanted to delve too deeply into his private life. "I realised I was going to be spending the best part of my life, and probably the rest of my life, trying to correct these inaccuracies, and I can't be bothered." Story from BBC NEWS: Published: 2005/08/01 16:51:35 GMT T® BBC MMV
- MIDDLE EASTForeign Ministry head Gold ‘hopeful’ Israel, Turkey will reconcile soon
- MIDDLE EAST'Israel unwilling to understand Nakba, the trauma that constitutes Palestinian identity'
- WORLDIsrael is in dire need of a leader with 'the Trump Factor'
- ASIAMalaysia: Weekend rally to demand ouster of PM Razak
- AFRICASudan, AU trade accusations in rare public row
Most Viewed News
- 1AFRICAKenya says security forces foiled multiple ‘terror attacks’
- 2MIDDLE EASTSaudi ground troops enter northern Yemen
- 3EUROPEHollande shell-shocked by revelations of Ukrainian army’s Minsk violations
- 4AMERICAS‘The US is fully prepared to fight Putin - to the last Ukrainian’
- 5ASIAPakistan poses no threat despite growing nuclear arsenal - Official