TRNC Celebrates 21st Anniversary of Its Foundation
November 17, 2004
LEFKOSA - President Rauf Denktas of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) received on Sunday Turkish Presidency Secretary General Kemal Nehrozoglu, Deputy Parliament Speaker Sadik Yakut and State Minister & Deputy Prime Minister Abdullatif Sener who are currently in Lefkosa to attend the ceremonies to mark the 21st anniversary of foundation of TRNC. Speaking at the meeting, President Denktas said, ``Turkish Cypriot people want to reach a compromise with the Greek Cypriot side without making any concession from their independence, sovereignty and state.`` Nehrozoglu stressed that Turkey would continue supporting Turkish Cypriot people in their rightful case. Meanwhile, Yakut said in his part, ``Turkish Cypriots fulfilled their responsibility by supporting UN Secretary General Kofi Annan`s plan in the referendum on April 24th. However, the world has failed to keep its promises. The United States, Britain, the EU states and the member countries to the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) should fulfil their commitments about direct flights, trade and education.`` Sener said, ``Turkish Cypriot people were in favor of compromise in the referendum. However, the Greek Cypriot side rejected it. The international community should well-assess results of the referenda in Cyprus. Turkey is determined to further deepen its relations with the TRNC.`` Later, the delegation was received by TRNC Parliament Speaker Fatma Ekenoglu and Prime Minister Mehmet Ali Talat. 11/15/2004
- MIDDLE EASTForeign Ministry head Gold ‘hopeful’ Israel, Turkey will reconcile soon
- MIDDLE EAST'Israel unwilling to understand Nakba, the trauma that constitutes Palestinian identity'
- WORLDIsrael is in dire need of a leader with 'the Trump Factor'
- ASIAMalaysia: Weekend rally to demand ouster of PM Razak
- AFRICASudan, AU trade accusations in rare public row
Most Viewed News
- 1AFRICAKenya says security forces foiled multiple ‘terror attacks’
- 2MIDDLE EASTSaudi ground troops enter northern Yemen
- 3EUROPEHollande shell-shocked by revelations of Ukrainian army’s Minsk violations
- 4AMERICAS‘The US is fully prepared to fight Putin - to the last Ukrainian’
- 5ASIAPakistan poses no threat despite growing nuclear arsenal - Official