ZANA: "TURKEY HAS MADE REVOLUTIONARY CHANGES"
October 15, 2004
Turkey has recently made revolutionary changes, said former Democracy Party (DEP) Deputy Leyla Zana yesterday, addressing the European Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee in Brussels. Praising Ankara's efforts to push reforms, Zana said that there is no systematic torture in Turkey. "Kurds are not a minority," added Zana. "There are 5,000 armed young Kurds who should be disarmed and accepted by society." Zana was in Brussels to receive the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for human rights, which she was awarded in 1995. /Sabah/
Most Viewed News
- 1AFRICASAfrica defense's minister under fire for jet 'rescue'
- 2EURASIAWarning of war, ex-deputy commander says NATO must counter 'Russian adventurism' in Baltics
- 3EURASIANATO must encounter 'Russian adventurism' in Baltics
- 4ASIAPresident Nazarbayev, IMF Chief Christine Lagarde to meet in Astana May 24
- 5TURKEYUN receives criticism in humanitarian summit in Istanbul